Thursday, March 20, 2008

Meatout? Hell, No!

One of those strange coincidences. First, today is the annual observance of Meatout. What is Meatout?

"Meatout is an international observance helping individuals evolve to a wholesome, nonviolent diet of fruits, vegetables, whole grains. The purpose is to expose the public to the joys and benefits of a plant-based diet, while promoting the availability and selection of meat and dairy alternatives in mainstream grocery stores, restaurants, and catering operations."

"Every spring, thousands of Meatout supporters educate their communities and ask their friends, families, and neighbors to pledge to "kick the meat habit (at least for a day) and explore a wholesome, nonviolent diet of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains."

Meatout, which began in 1985, is coordinated by FARM, a national nonprofit, public interest organization. They advocate plant-based (vegan) diets to save animals, protect the environment, and improve health.

Now for the funny part. What am I in the middle of reading right now? The Shameless Carnivore: A Manifesto for Meat Lovers by Scott Gold. It is a fascinating book that definitely appeals to my own carnivore tendencies. I will post a full review in the near future, but will say the book addresses many aspects of eating meat, including information on the health aspects. It is well written and certainly speaks to me. Certainly not proper reading material for Meatout.

I could never be a vegan. I would miss my tasty meat far too much. So, I won't be participating in Meatout today. Could I give up meat for one day? Sure. But I don't want to. I see no valid reason to do so.

Maybe us shameless carnivores should have a Meatin today instead and savor a fine steak, a juicy hamburger or a spicy sausage. Mmmmm...now where should I eat today then?

No comments: