Thursday, May 22, 2008

Bodega Pirineos

On a recent visit to the Lower Falls Wine Co., I came upon a Spanish wine made from a grape I had not had before, and which I was not even sure I had ever heard of before. So I bought a couple bottles, just to try something different.

The 2004 Bodega Pirneos Parreleta ($16.99) comes from the Somontano D.O. in Spain. Somontano is located in the northwest of Spain, in the Huesca province. It is located between the foothills of the Pyrenees and the Ebro valley. The word "Somontano" translates as "under the mountain." Local wine stores don't carry many wines from this region though that is slowly changing. Bodega Pirineos, owned by the Barbadillo family, was established in 1993 in Barbastro. They produce wines made from both indigenous Spanish grapes as well as more international ones.

Parraleta is a rare red grape that is indigenous to Somontano. Parraleta is a small bunch variety of medium compactness. The grape is medium-sized with bluish black skin and a short stem. don't confuse this grape with the Spanish Parellada, a white grape often used in making Cava.

The 2004 Bodega Pirneos Parreleta is made form 100% Parreleta, the vines being over one hundred years old. It is fermented using traditional techniques and undergoes malolactic fermentation in new American oak, before being aged for another six months. It has an alcohol content of 13% and only about 1000 bottles were produced.

The wine has a rich, dark red color. Initially it had a closd nose and seemed very tight on the palate. But, as I let it sit for awhile, it began to open up. I would suggest allowing this wine to breathe for at least an hour, if not two to three, for it to reach its potential. Once it did open up, I was pleased by what I found. The nose had acquired some raspberry and black cherry with a touch of spice. On the palate, the berry flavors mingled with some pepper, cinnamon and vanilla. It did present a kind of dusty flavor as well, an added level of dryness, which made for a unique flavor. The wine does have noticeable tannins which make this more a food wine. I was having lamb steaks that evening and the wine made a great pairing.

Overall, I very much enjoyed this wine, especially paired with the lamb, and would recommend it as a Drink & Buy.

1 comment:

Gabriella Opaz said...

I agree with you Richard that this wine is worth every penny spent. I've enjoyed it on several occasions with everything from grilled steak to angel hair pasta in a bolognese sauce. Great suggestion.