Thursday, July 15, 2010

Thursday Sips & Nibbles

I am back again with a new edition of Thursday Sips & Nibbles, my semi-regular column where I briefly mention some interesting wine and food items that I have encountered recently.
**********************************************************

1) I recently had brunch at AKA Bistro, where I have previously had some excellent lunches. Brunch was just as enjoyable with top notch food and very good service. The Panier de Viennoiseries fait maison ($9) is a basket of assorted breads and pastries, all made on premises. It included a croissant (light, flaky and buttery), pan de chocolate, madeline and more. The Omelette printaniere ($12), which is an omelet with asparagus, vegetables and fresh goat cheese was quite large and delicious with an ample portion of thinly sliced potatoes. And the Oeuf en Brioche et bacon ($12) was an intriguing and tasty dish, a poached egg baked into a home made brioche with bacon pieces. Overall, a top notch brunch and I continue to strongly recommend this restaurant.

2) On Sundays in July, Fleming’s Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar will offer a special thre-course, Sunday Prime Rib Dinner. The 3-course meal features 12 ounces of succulent Prime Rib served with a trio of sauces; your choice of The Wedge, Fleming’s or Caesar salads; plus, one side dish and dessert. The cost is only $29.95 per person.

3) Last week, I mentioned that Sam's Bistro, a new restaurant in Reading would soon be opening and it actually had a soft opening this past weekend. So it is now open and I will stop by there soon to check it out, and will then report back.

4) With all of the hot weather recently, I have been drinking plenty of rosé. I find it very refreshing and it is very food friendly. I generally prefer an Old World style, which tends to be more dry than many New World rosés. Though I will also drink rosé year round. I highly recommend you drink some rosé this summer, and find how well it goes with both the season and food.

No comments: